Sunday, March 9, 2008

Storm of the Century



After a night of boozing with a couple of folks, I dragged myself out of bed to go for a walk. I drove along the Liffey and noticed how the water level was so high. The water was ebbing with a mighty force of energy and enthusiasm along the rivers bank. At O'Connells Bridge there was very little displacement of air left between the two arches of the bridge and the height of the water level. My heart palpitated slightly as everyone was dandering by the bridge and boardwalk without noticing the oddity of the tides. I just boiled it down to the fact that I was slightly hungover.

I continued on in my journey heading towards Clontarf. To my left I noticed a camera-man filming the movements of the passing of cars, the angle of his camera then changed slightly pointing towards the sea. I looked over to my right to discover vibrant yellow sandbags tracing the coastal outline of Clontarf. These yellow sandbags were only concentrated along weak points of this particular coastline. A few men from Dublin County Council were standing around these yellow sandbags. I was not able to distinguish whether they had any purpose to be there or was it just for the camera-man.

As I furthered my journey towards Dollymount Strand, I noticed an ambulance with Civil Defence Force imprinted along its side and rescue at the back. A man in his late 50's was at the drivers seat. At this point my anxiety was rising slightly as I didn't know what was going on. I called into a friend of mine who still hadn't arisen from the outing. I divulged my account of the journey to my friends father, who was laughing as apparently Ireland is going to be hit with a storm for two days consecutively. We started laughing at how ill prepared we were for these sort of natural catastrophies.

For threats of flooding in Dublin coastal areas, gale force winds of 6 and gust of winds of 100kmph, one would have to laugh at Dublin Council County preparation for the flood. Perhaps I should write to Dublin County Council and ask them if they think their workers ought to lay down a few more sandbags in preparation for the apparent flooding at Clontarf. Also if they are going to advise residents on their internet flood sites (www.flood.ie) on precautionary measures, perhaps give them any form of information other then a screen with FLOOD.IE in bold.

2 comments:

PEARL AND RUBY said...

Thank you for such a kind comment. But the other doesn't seem to think so. So perhaps we should kick the "OTHER" arse....

Anonymous said...

Find local events on www.OySite.com to connect with others and develop your business!